In late 2020, we held what was intended to be a one-time online fundraiser called Indie Bids at a time of great financial need for the organization. Well, we’re bringing it back!
Memberships cover only a portion of organizational expenses, and in-person fundraisers have been impossible these past few years. Help us continue our mission and promote your business too.
All you need to participate is an Instagram account and an item or service to donate. Dates are Feb 23, 10am through Feb 24, at 10am.
This is a great way to promote your products and services, show your fellow independent businesses some love, and help Portland Buy Local continue to help make our city a place where everyone chooses local first. It’s fun, easy, and will make a big difference for us.
OPEN TO ALL
We know that all local businesses can use some love right now, so this year we’re opening the fundraiser up to any locally owned, independent business in Greater Portland. If you’re not a member already, we do hope you’ll strongly consider joining the organization during our spring membership drive. Stay tuned for details on that!
See our Instagram story highlight from the last event to get a feel for what types of items were donated. It can be an item, a service, a gift card, an experience….get creative.
Here’s what you’ll need to do.
- Reach out to PBL Board Member, Amy Landry at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know you’ll be participating as soon as possible, but no later than Feb 21. Include your email, phone, your name, your business name, and Instagram handle.
- Follow @portlandbuylocal on Instagram.
- Pick an item or service to donate and create an IG post to promote it. PBL will provide graphics to use as well as an event guide once you sign up.
- At 10am on Feb 23, put up your post. Use #indiebids22 in your text and tag (vs mention in text) @portlandbuylocal.
- For 24 hours (10am-10am), direct people to use the hashtag #indiebids22 to search through the items and make bids in the comment section of your post. The highest bid at the end of the auction period is the winner.
- At 10am on the second day, turn off commenting for your post and update text to say AUCTION CLOSED at the top.
- Reach out to the winner through Instagram to arrange payment and pick up. If there is no response within 24 hours, move on to the next highest bid.
- Once they pay you, you donate that amount to Portland Buy Local.
Who’s in! Contact Amy with you email, phone, name, business name and Instagram handle, and she’ll send you more details and graphics to use to promote your participation.