Are you interested in joining the Portland Buy Local Board of Directors?
Now is a great time to considering joining our volunteer Board — Portland Buy Local’s work has never been more important. We’re looking for engaged Board Members who can help further our mission of supporting Portland’s local, independent business community.
If becoming a Board Member isn’t the right fit for you right now, consider joining one of our committees.
If you’re interested in joining a committee or our Board, fill out this form no later than May 31st to start the conversation.
What would your job as a Board Member be?
- Establish and further organizational identity: implement mission, vision, values
- Ensure resources: staffing, financial, strategic partnerships
- Provide oversight: staffing, programs, financial, legal, strategic planning
What is required of a Board Member?
- Be passionate and enthusiastic about the mission and work of Portland Buy Local
- Be actively engaged at monthly Board meetings on the second Wednesday of the month
- Commit to an initial 3 year term (2-term limit)
- Join or maintain a Portland Buy Local membership
- Participate in at least 1 standing committee (Advocacy, Membership, Marketing, Governance, Indie Biz)
- Actively support the programs of the organization, attending events when possible
- Utilize your connections to broaden the movement through membership recruitment and/or fundraising opportunities
What’s the level of commitment of a Board Member?
- 1.5 hour Board meeting on the second Wednesday of the month
- 1 hour committee meetings monthly
- 1-3 hours a month between Board and committee meetings to move the work forward
- 5+ hours during membership season drive January through March for recruitment/renewals and administrative support
- 2-3 hours at Indie Biz Awards in October (preferred – this will also be virtual for 2020)
- Other events if applicable and possible
What’s the recruitment and onboarding process like?
Due to the coronavirus, our recruitment and onboarding process for this year has changed slightly. We ask that each individual submit an Expression of Interest form no later than Sunday, May 31.
Our Governance Committee will review responses as they come in. We have four open Board seats, and will also be filling vacancies on our Membership, Marketing, Advocacy, and Indie Biz Event Committees. After reviewing the expressions of interest, we will reach out to candidates to set up a phone call, video conference, or email to answer questions and continue the conversation.
We want to make sure this relationship works for everyone. You’ll have the chance to attend the June Board meeting to make sure they meet your expectations. Four candidates will be put onto a slate for election at our July Annual Meeting (tentative virtual date July 8, 2020). Following the election, new Board members will receive a Board orientation packet.
Any questions? Please reach out and let us know.
Phone: (207) 899-7885
The Portland Buy Local campaign was launched in July 2006 by Portland business owners and citizens hoping to counteract the rising influence of national chains through collective marketing and education. After receiving an enthusiastic response from both businesses and residents, the initial working group incorporated the Portland Independent Business and Community Alliance (PIBCA) as a 501c(6) in September 2006 and formed the organization’s first Board of Directors and Advisory Board.
Local, independent businesses are the foundation of a resilient, engaged community. We shape Portland’s business climate to support the needs of local businesses through education, marketing, connection, and advocacy.
Portland is a national model, where everyone who lives in, works in, and visits Portland, knows how to buy local, why it matters, and chooses local first.
Community, independence, economic vitality
Core services and events:
- Buy Local Educational Posters
- Portland Buy Local Directory
- Membership campaign
- Advocacy efforts
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Member-to-member discounts
- Media Partnership Program
- Indie Biz Awards
- Annual Meeting
- Downtown Worker Appreciation Day
- Networking Mixers
- Brown Bag Lunches